by Paul Harris, San Angelo Standard-Times
COLEMAN — The Coleman Bluecats rallied from a 12-0 deficit to beat Brady 15-12 on Friday on homecoming night at Hufford Field in Coleman.
Junior Devinar Roberson broke a 38-yard touchdown run with 4:57 left in the fourth quarter to give Coleman its first lead of the game, and the Bluecats' defense finished off the win from there.
Brady was in control with a 12-0 lead following JD Ibarra's 64-yard fumble return midway through the second quarter.
Yet Coleman found the unlikeliest of sparks when Brady botched its two-point conversion try attempting a fake field goal, and Dylan Mickler scooped up a fumble and raced 85 yards for a score that cut the deficit to 12-2.
Brady never scored again, and Coleman scored late in the second quarter and late in the fourth to earn an impressive comeback win.
"We thought we had the opportunity (to come back) with the way we were playing early," Coleman head coach John Elder said. "We knew we were shooting ourselves in the foot. Our offense stalled early, but our defense kept us in the game."
Following Mickler's two-point conversion return, Coleman then had a big kickoff return to Brady's 38 and scored five plays later on a 1-yard sneak by quarterback Corbin Rosales to get within 12-9 at halftime.
After a scoreless third quarter, Coleman squandered a golden opportunity to take the lead with a fumbled snap on Brady's 5-yard line early in the fourth quarter.
Brady was forced to punt it back, however, and the Bluecats soon found the big play they'd been waiting for.
Roberson, who had only 9 yards on three carries before the drive began, was handed the ball three times in a row.
He took one 3 yards. He popped the next one for 9 yards. And then he broke loose with a 38-yard run right up the middle.
"I'm a fast runner, and the hole was wide open," Roberson said. "They did a pretty good job on their blocking, and I had everything where I needed it to be, and I made a big play out of it."
Roberson, a 5-foot-8, 135-pound junior, gives the Bluecats some lightning to the thunder brought by sophomore Ryland Gentry (6-1, 180), who had 15 carries for 88 yards. Roberson finished with six carries for 59 yards.
"Ryland Gentry and the big boys had been kinda pounding on them and pounding on them," Elder said. "And then we kind of had a little change-up with Devinar Roberson, and he comes in and pops one and puts us on top.
"And then it was kind of fitting that our defense was on the field to win this and put us in victory formation."
For Brady, it was a frustrating defeat after the Bulldogs led much of the game, beginning when sophomore Hayden Baronet hit Jacob Wernecke for a 39-yard TD pass early in the second quarter.
Leading 12-9 to start the second half, Brady marched 57 yards in 12 plays — but the Bulldogs were stopped inches short on a fourth-and-2 run.
After Coleman took the lead, Brady crossed midfield on its ensuing drive when a botched snap turned into a 13-yard loss, which derailed the drive.
Brady also committed eight penalties for 75 yards, and the last one was an encroachment that gave Coleman the first down it needed to run out the clock.
Coleman had only two penalties for 10 yards.
Brady used two quarterbacks, with Baronet playing the first half and senior Cutter Johnson playing the second half.
Coleman improved to 2-1 and will play at Grape Creek next week, while Brady fell to 1-2 and will visit Dublin.
Coleman 15, Brady 12
- Brady 0 12 0 0 — 12
- Coleman 0 9 0 6 — 15
- BRADY — Jacob Wernecke 39 pass from Hayden Baronet (kick failed), 9:51 remaining
- BRADY — JD Ibarra 64 fumble return (run conversion failed), 5:51
- COLEMAN — Dylan Mickler 85 fumble return on two-point conversion, 5:51
- COLEMAN — Corbin Rosales 1 run (Kick good by Christian Villeda)
- COLEMAN — Devinar Roberson 38 run (kick failed), 4:57
Brady / Coleman Team Statistics
- First downs - 12 / 15
- Rushing-yards - 35-122 / 34-188
- Passing - 81 / 39
- Total - 203 / 227
- Comp-att-int - 6-14-1 / 4-9-0
- Punts-avg - 5-28.8 / 4-37.5
- Fumbles-lost - 1-0 / 2-2
- Penalties-yards - 8-75 / 2-10
- Brady — Hayden Baronet 5-2, JD Ibarra 13-61, Kaden Bernal 1-(-3), Seth Pfiester 4-12, Jacob Wernecke 1-19, Noah Flores 1-4, Cutter Johnson 5-25, Justin Morgan 4-15.
- Coleman — Ryland Gentry 15-88, Corbin Rosales 9-23, Devinar Roberson 6-59, Dayden Hunter 3-18.
- Brady — Hayden Baronet 3-6-1 for 60, Cutter Johnson 3-8-0 for 21.
- Coleman — Corbin Rosales 4-9-0 for 39.
- Brady — Parker Linnard 3-32, Seth Pfiester 1-4, Jacob Wernecke 2-45.
- Coleman — Dylan Mickler 1-(-1), Braxton Smith 2-33, Ryland Gentry 1-7.