Charlie Avants age 93 of Gouldbusk, Texas passed to the arms of Jesus on Monday, March 28, 2022 at 5:20 am at his home.
Services will be Thursday, March 31, 2022 at 2:00 pm at First United Methodist Church of Coleman with Rev. Joe Haynes officiating. Interment will follow at the Gouldbusk Cemetery with services under the care of Henderson Funeral Home staff of Coleman.
The family will receive friends for visitation Wednesday, March 30, 2022 from 5:00 till 7:00 pm at Henderson Funeral Home.
Charlie was born Charlie Martin Avants on October 16, 1928 in Whon, Texas to Thomas Edgar and Mary Ann Schultz Avants the youngest of 11 children. Charlie was a lifetime resident of the Gouldbusk Community and attended the Gouldbusk Schools and was a member of the Gouldbusk Methodist Church. On December 20, 1951 he married the love and companion for his life Kathleen Hibbetts in Talpa, Texas and they celebrated 70 years of marriage.
Charlie was a founding member of the Gouldbusk Rodeo Association and member of the Coleman County Farm Bureau. He loved team roping and his family, especially grandchildren and great grandchildren he held close to his heart. As a farmer and rancher he kept the land and livestock in his care high on his priorities list.
Charlie had a somewhat unique way of showing his love, but one thing his grandchildren would count on was that he would make sure that they were taken care of and loved. He was a great man with a big heart and selfless nature. If memories made with his grandsons riding in an old farm truck, chasing cattle and hauling hay made a man rich, Charlie would have been a millionaire. He wasn’t a millionaire, but he was rich. Rich with so many who loved him and were proud to call him theirs, whether it was husband, Dad, Papa, brother, uncle or friend. He loved and was just as proud of them all. Rich in his honesty; you never had to wonder what he was thinking. Rich in his domino playing ability, he was unmatched. He knew what was in his opponent’s hands most of the time before they did. He loved watching football.
Charlie loved his time at the arena. Whether it was with the girls, the boys, the cattle or the horses, he loved it. Grandkids will never forget his voice asking if they had gotten their report cards yet, if they had a ‘sodee pop’ he could have and to eat certain vegetables so their eyes stayed blue, and that flipped up bill on his cap that only he could pull off. Charlie was the epitome of a hardworking, hard loving man.
He was preceded in death by a daughter, Lynn (Ruth Lynette) Stephenson, on June 22, 2007, his parents and siblings.
- Wife – Kathleen Avants of Gouldbusk, Texas
- Children –
- Marty and wife Jane Avants of Gouldbusk, Texas
- David & wife Dana Avants of Gouldbusk, Texas
- Sabrina Tibbetts of Gouldbusk, Texas
- Grandchildren –
- Shay & wife Kelley Avants, Stacy & husband Justin Moore, Dusty & husband Bryan Goldston, Tru & wife Neely Avants, Charleen & husband Dale Self, Ray & wife Mikki Ward, Christina & husband Brandon Hoffman, Walker & wife Carla Kyle, Holly & husband Aaron Smith, Chancy & husband Tye Pickett, Jake Stephenson, Maegan & husband Ray Hurtado, Chase Avants, Josh & wife Nichole Hale, Kevin & wife Jennifer Hale, Blake, PJ, Quinton & Bryson Hammonds, Brody & wife Morgan Tibbetts, Ashton Tibbetts
- 24 Great Grandchildren –
- Zane, Zach, Cade, Lane, Avrie, Sam, Lannie, Callie, Trigg, Darren, Savannah, Ella, Kylie, Easton, Henley, Luke, Cooper, Saegan, Ackley, Julian, Eric, Brailyn, Rynley, Neeley, Reagan, and Ashlyn.
- A number of nieces and nephews
Pallbearers: Shay, Tru, Brody, Chase, Jake, Brian
Honorary Pallbearers: Ray, Walker, Josh, Kevin, PJ & Quinton
Family requests memorials made to Gouldbusk Cemetery or in Honor of Miller Thweatt to:
- The Cure ATP6 Fund at
- 6808 Old Glory CT
- McKinney, TX 75071